Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time Travel
Brick 
I have read multiple books on time travel, but most of them aren't very good to me. I like Outlander, but at the same time I don't like it. There is something about it that rubs me wrong. I am not saying I didn't read it or whatever because I did and I enjoyed it. I think it was the love triangle with Claire... I don't mind love triangles but at the same time this one... I don't know.
All other time travel stories seem completely bogus or just stupid. It's all, hey that's cute and all but there was nothing about it that hit me the way I would hope. Undecided
I haven't put this onto Newb Bay because it is still in the beginning stages, but I am trying my hand at time travel. It isn't going to be entirely accurate with the historical thing. It is going to be a fantasy/romance type thing. 
I am making it a legend where there are these pearls from every area of the world all on one necklace that belong to the bastard of a king and that woman will give birth to a boy that will be a super soldier type warrior and savior of Scotland.
The second half of the legend revolves around an old book of Scottish legends which is to be possessed by a woman who will guide the boy in the right direction. The people who know the legend will have it where it is not clear if it is to be the same woman or two different ones. Plus the legend will be something that only a few believe.
I am still doing some planning, but I have an idea of how I want it to go. Confused  I am hoping it isn't a completely bomb because I have always wanted there to be a time travel time book that is really interesting. I haven't been able to find one so I figured I would try writing one.
  Teresa Wray
Ladies of the Crown: w/ Heather Youstra - Finished
The First Connection - Finished
The Creepy Seconds - Finished
What Happens in Hawaii - Finished
An Apocalyptic Curse - Finished
The Bloodsucker Hierarchy - 9 Chapters
Be a Good Girl Dillon - 9 Chapters
(11-13-2015, 04:54 PM)Mom23Boys Wrote:  haven't been able to find one so I figured I would try writing one.

That's a pretty good reason to write a book!

I personally am not a fan of time travel stories because, like you said, they seem bogus or just stupid. The improbability of time travel always knocks me out of the story, just no matter how good they cover their ground. Only time travel story I liked was a movie trilogy - Back to the Future and that's because it's a comedy.

Your idea sounds cool though, I'd like to see where you go with it.
(11-13-2015, 11:42 PM)alexjackson Wrote:
(11-13-2015, 04:54 PM)Mom23Boys Wrote:  haven't been able to find one so I figured I would try writing one.

I personally am not a fan of time travel stories because, like you said, they seem bogus or just stupid. The improbability of time travel always knocks me out of the story, just no matter how good they cover their ground. Only time travel story I liked was a movie trilogy - Back to the Future and that's because it's a comedy.

I would too!! I am hoping I don't bomb completely! It is supposed to be a comedy and some seriousness, but I am trying to think how Scotland would be different in the future... I am attempting to finish all that I have on Newb Bay before getting too involved, though... I know once I get started I will forget all other things exist...
  Teresa Wray
(11-14-2015, 12:04 AM)Mom23Boys Wrote:
(11-13-2015, 11:42 PM)alexjackson Wrote:

I would too!! I am hoping I don't bomb completely! It is supposed to be a comedy and some seriousness, but I am trying to think how Scotland would be different in the future... I am attempting to finish all that I have on Newb Bay before getting too involved, though... I know once I get started I will forget all other things exist...
Well, if it's a comedy then the only way it can bomb is to not be funny! Which I doubt honestly, because there is so much potential for comedy in a time travel scenario. Now that I thought about it a bit, I think time travel is best told as a comedy.
I agree, but it can't be stupid funny. Those always fail for me.
  Teresa Wray
I read The Time-Traveler's Wife but actually didn't get it. Was it supposed to be a subversion of age-difference romances?

Otherwise, strangely, I've only really liked time travel when I've watched it. The episode "Blink" of the new Doctor Who was far more clever and spooky about it. I think that would have made a good book, at least a short story. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2006 animated film) was also interesting. And the old film Somewhere in Time even though the time-traveler could have just gone to his love interest when she was old instead of insisting on celebrity worship or whatever that was.

The link with the book sounds interesting. I can't wait to read how it turns out!
I just love the notion of time travelling not only in books but in movies and tv shows as well. So, The Time Machine is a Bible of time travelling fiction but a lot of great books you can read. The Time Traveller's Wife, The End of Eternity, A Sound of thunder, The Langoliers...
Yeah its possible, done it loads of times.....when I travel too and from USA....relive the same time and date twice
time travelling are from those kind of the fictions that I always wanted to be true. before I wanted to write about a time traveler who bring Hitler and other big dictators and terrorists in this time and he make a huge anarchy with the help of the those persons. but I left my story because I have to do something important. while I was writing it I know exactly what I want write but after that break I forgot everything...